Download Copy: School Policy
Policy Title: No Hit Zone Policy in Schools
- To create and reinforce an environment of comfort and safety for students, families, and staff.
- To provide clear procedures for addressing situations in which adults are using physical discipline with children, or to de-escalate a situation in which caregivers/staff begin to raise their voices or show other signs of stress and inappropriate behaviors that occur prior to physical discipline.
- The school shall implement a “No Hit Zone” which is an environment in which no adult shall hit a child, no adult shall hit another adult, no child shall hit an adult, and no child shall hit another child.
- The policy will be implemented on all campuses and property including all owned and leased properties, buildings, grounds, and parking lots.
- When hitting is threaten or observed, it is everyone’s responsibility to interrupt the behavior as well as communicate system policy to those present.
- Staff will not be expected to place themselves in a dangerous situation by confronting violent behavior; security or police should be notified through established procedures whenever staff has concern for their physical safety or the safety of students, visitors, or other staff members.
- If necessary, school security or the principal should be notified through established procedures.
- Whenever notes or report cards are sent home that could possibly result in caregivers physically disciplining students, teachers will send a note home on the harms of physical discipline.
Procedure: Training and Reporting Procedures at Schools
Training and Prevention:
- All staff will be made aware of school policy that is in place to ensure and reinforce an environment of comfort and safety.
- All school staff and volunteers will be provided training opportunities within first year of implementation and ongoing during (training name), orientation for new staff.
- Materials provided during training will include: brochures, posters, and videos educating on the No Hit Zone.
Reporting and Response Procedure:
- Staff will identify and respond to situations that compromise the safe environment utilizing the education they are provided with.
- The following steps will be taken when hitting or other disruptive behavior is witnessed:
- Respond in a nonjudgmental way
- Empathize with the frustrations and stress the involved individuals may be experiencing. Remind them that (name) School is a “No Hit Zone,” that is, no physical violence is tolerated.
- Try to have conversations with the involved individuals out of earshot of others, and if possible including the child, so the individual is not embarrassed.
- Avoid making threats.
- Thank the individual(s) for respecting our policies and offer written educational material as appropriate.
- If indicated by the situation, notify, Child/Adult Protective Services in accordance with the Mandatory Reporting laws.
- If indicated by the situation, notify security for assistance.